Sunday, November 30, 2008

Potty Training

Kyleigh's 23 months old today, and we've decided to introduce potty training.

Starting months ago I've asked a multiple mommy friends for their wisdom and knowledge on this subject. Some mommies said it takes a few hard-core training days. Others said it took them months and their kids still struggle with it. I'm believing it's a matter of all kids being very different.

Some said I ought to teach Kyleigh before Josiah was born so I'd only have to buy diapers for 1 kid! LOL Let me say it would have been a DREAM to have Kyleigh potty trained before Josiah was born! But she was under 18 mo. old and I was super-sized pregnant and injured and in the middle of home renovations, so the timing wasn't right and I'm glad we didn't even contemplate attempting it then! But now life's different. Not exactly "mellow", it's just more of an "organized chaos"!

KyKy seems interested in the process of restrooms. And for a while now she's established a routine of bringing me a diaper at moments I think are totally random, then pats her bottom as though to bring her bum to my attention. And every time she does that, I check her diaper and I'm proven wrong...it's not random, she's got a dirty diaper and she's brought me a fresh one to replace it! This awareness of hygiene plus interest in the restroom convinces me Kyleigh may be ready to become toilet-trained.

We went shopping last night to get Kyleigh her own little potty seat to start using today, which is exactly one month 'til her 2nd birthday! I'm introducing the concept, but not pushing it on her. I'm hoping at first for her just to show signs of interest in the new object, then more frequent interest in relation to "doing her business". I'm in no hurry...I've got about 40 diapers that need to be used! That'll take a few days, and hopefully by then she'll be in the full swing of using the potty like a big girl every time she needs to "go"! (And NO, I did not make her pose for this picture! We got home late, she was being silly & leaning on the box so I grabbed the camera, having no idea she was going to go all Vana White on me!)

Those are my hopes. But it's really going to be a balance of Kyleigh's willingness and my steadfast consistency in the training process. It would be awesome for her to be officially potty-trained by her 2nd birthday!

P.S. No, I haven't mentioned Chris in all of this. My husband is working a crazy holiday schedule right now, but for when he is home he's on board with the potty training plans (he and Josiah helped us pick out the new potty seat last night--it was a family affair)! And since we're starting on a Sunday, which is when Chris works the short mall hours of 12pm-6:30pm, he'll be home for her first morning with the new potty seat introductions and will be home for dinner and evening potty training rituals on her first day! Too bad he can't be home 24/7 for this phase 'cuz she's a Daddy's Girl ...anything that he says is cool is super cool to her. I think he could have her potty trained in less than 3 days! Hahaha
Wish us well in our new journey!

*Oh, and I'm still up for suggestions on the potty training from parents with personal hands-on experience in this process! I can't use every method--that would be chaos!-- but I do appreciate constructive/productive input from those who have been here and done this!


No comments: