Monday, March 23, 2009

Shoulder-Height & A Haircut


Last night Josiah finally got a much-needed 2nd haircut. His first was the day he turned 8 months old, which was a mohawk and we loved it. But his hair grows super fast like his daddy's, so in just a month he was overdue for a trim. Last week we'd purchased a nice hair-cutting kit for about $24, figuring in just two haircuts it'll pay for itself, and last night I finally got around to giving Josiah the first at-home haircut.

*(Chris pays about $12-14 where he gets his hair cut, and has to go about every 3 weeks max 'cuz his hair grows wildly fast! If we also pay for Josiah's cuts for the next 18 years, that's $24-28 x 17 trims per year x 18 years for both my guys to get their haircuts. That's $7,344 to $8,568. Wow!)

I originally consid
ered using different guards to vary the length--shorter on the sides, a little longer on top. But Josiah was NOT diggin' the process, so I buzzed it all one length to get it done and end my little man's misery! It was a fun time for the rest of us, though, as Chris helped hold and comfort Siah, and Kyleigh even brought her brother a toy when he cried...awww! In the end, JoJo's hair was shorter and nobody was bleeding, so it was a success! Such a success, in fact, that Chris asked me to cut his hair at home this week for the first time! WOW! I greatly appreciate his faith in me!









Also noted recently is Josiah's height. It's hard not to notice, as he's standing so much these days! I don't have an offical number of inches for you, but instead a comparison to KyKy. When standing next to one another, Josiah is shoulder-height to Kyleigh! Our baby boy is seriously on track to outgrow his sister soon! (In the case of this photo, they're both watching Daddy mow the lawn--look carefully to spot Chris!)

6 comments:

Jon said...

Our toddler is 21 months and hasn't had a haircut yet! The baby is 8 months tomorrow (24th) and isn't in need of his first yet, but has more hair than any of his siblings at his age. My haircuts in the last 9 years of Army life have come to approximately $2299. We're hoping to move near Carrie so we can bum free haircuts off of her for awhile :)

CD said...

His "before" picture looks like our boys' "after" picture when they get their hair cuts. We used to buzz them that way too but I always liked their hair more when it was longer. I just think it's so cute (especially since our babies take forever to grow any) :0) Our daughter's first cut was when she was 3 yrs old! :)

Jodi said...

eh, I don't think you'll get 18 years out of those trimmers. I bought a pair at Kmart and it lasted me a year and now I'm on my second set. Hair gets stuck inside. I tried to get it out by taking them apart but then it wouldn't go back together again. However, it is a money saver because like you said, it's paid off within the first 2 times you use it.

Anonymous said...

WOW, he is getting so big and standing ' how cool '...these pics are so cute...
Well we venture to say that grandma will not cut his hair, LOL... grandpa is still telling the story of the bad haircut I gave to his Uncle J.
He told it this weekend 'UGH'. sorry Uncle J! :0
On haircuts, I think his Aunt Mo won't ever get one, since dad won't let her... May try to talk him into letting her have a bit of one this summer when we go to Opry for our vaca! May go to that place you were telling us about in Nashville...but all in all, I tip my hat off to you Mama Jess as you trim hair... You are a natural, because it looks good...
love you mucho...

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I cut my husband and son's hair, too and it saves us so much money! We invested in a good set of clippers with guards and it has more than paid for itself. I've learned with clippers, cheaper isn't better. Looks like you did a great job!

CD said...

I forgot to say that once upon a time, I used to cut Jonathan's hair. :0) But, our clippers were the cheap kind & they didn't last long between him & the boys :)

& We are definitely hoping to utilize my sister if/when we move closer to home! She has given all of our kids their first cuts...so we have to wait to give Bubby a trim so his Aunt Carrie can do it.