Do any of you parents watch "Sid The Science Kid" on PBS with your little ones? It's one of the few things we approve our kids to watch outside of the periodic Baby Einstein video (love those--we have a collection of a couple dozen we got super cheap!). Well, the episode about Sid's 'shrinking shoes' has been on twice this week. Sid thought his favorite shoes were shrinking, when actually his feet were growing so his fave shoes no longer fit. This episode was screaming at me to get new shoes for our Kyleigh since she's outgrown hers!
Now, don't think for a second that Chris and I would ever go into a store and tell our toddler to just pick out whatever she wanted---uh, no! Two year olds don't make those choices in my world. Mommy and Daddy selected two practical pair, tried them on her separately and together to compare for fit and comfort. We were ok with either one, so we asked Kyleigh's opinion, and whether presented separately or together she consistently chose one particular pair! So that's the pair we got and everyone was happy. If they fit the need, fit the feet, and fit the budget, that's what matters. But the fact that they also fit her preference is extra awesome! It was so exciting seeing how special she felt about being part of the process. She didn't help decide on the pair that she just outgrew, but we realize that she's got opinions and preferences as a Big Girl and we want to consider those feelings in an appropriate way. I also think it's important to help a child learn to weigh options and make good decisions. I grew up with a parent who constantly used the phrase "Because I said so" rather than guiding me in good decision-making. May seem a little deep for toddler shoe-shopping, but teaching moments are all around us!
We took some pics of Kyleigh and her big shoe-shopping adventure. She loved every minute of it, she's like a 12 yr old girl in a toddler body! Oh, I can only imagine the teen years...
Trying on shoes...
Helping Daddy get the shoe on...
Checkin' out right shoe in the mirror...
Another pair to try on...
Mommy helped with the second shoe...
She can't get enough of the mirrors!
Checkin' out left shoe in the mirror...
So excited when we told her these could be her new shoes!
My fav. moment of the day--I look crazy, but Kyleigh is signing 'thank you' to show appreciation. She doesn't have to thank us for providing for her needs, but the fact that she did that is precious!
One last look in the mirror before we go...
Ready to buy her shoes, Chris asked her if she had any money...
When she said, "No", Daddy handed over the debit card! LOL
A successful shopping day!Since Josiah slept during the shoe-shopping--and we'd expect nothing less from a boy--we got to have our special time with him later in the evening. He's totally a mama's boy, but he definitely loves his daddy, too! And how could he not when he's got the best daddy on earth?!




5 comments:
You are a good Mama!! She is so darn cute! & That pic of Josiah grinning with you, oh man, he is SO adorable! I don't know how you live with so much cuteness (well, I guess that's the same issue I am living with too lol). I love the shoes she picked, she has great taste!
Reading, "because I said so." made me feel sick for a moment. I can just hear that over and over in my head. The niece and nephew are getting BIG! Can't wait to pick them up and give them a hug. I got some news yesterday that the process to get me out of the Army has finally started. For some reason the doc wasn't doing the paperwork on the right system and the admin department had no idea I was supposed to be going through a medical review board. Finally, some progress! I just chalk it up as God's timing.
Such a cute little post of Kyleigh being a big girl. She surely fits that role well lately, so it seems!
My two fav's - Ky signing thankyou, and Jo and daddy nose to nose! Too precious. I just started using some sign language with Gavin. Let me know if you have any advice in that area!
Ky you are 2 adorable... your aunt moriah would totally freak out... I showed her your pictures in hopes that our trip to Stride Rite next week will be a success... Love these pics...
U R A BIG GIRL!
Post a Comment