Sunday, February 21, 2010

Go Ahead, Make My Day!


Today was a bad day. Ya know how some days just don't start right, then they manage to continue on the same path? None of the "bad" was distinctly anyone's fault, it just didn't seem to go away or get much better as the day wore on. I'm fairly certain a significant quantity of it stemmed from the fact that every person in my house is sick and/or tired.


So, it was a bad day. Then I made a Facebook status post some time between 4-5pm declaring: "
To make today better, I need: a 3-4 hr nap, a HUGE mocha frappacino, and an ENTIRE pkg of milano cookies (yes, I eat my feelings...please don't judge, it'll just encourage me to track down a Girl Scout with Thin Mints!)" Loved the responses I had to this status update!

I was under the impression my husband was at work during that time, so it never occurred to me that he'd read that status, let alone d
o anything about it! He'd asked earlier in the day asking if we needed any groceries, which he often stops for on his way home. I'd mentioned that we did have needs but that I'd prefer him to come straight home since it had been such a rough day. He knew to read that as: "Forget food & toiletries, I need a hand with the kids!".

Unbeknownst to me, Chris had left work early since business was slow, and was going to surprise me by getting groceries we needed while still getting home earlier than usual. Apparently after he got the handful of items our family required, he was checking his Facebook via phone, read my status update, and went back inside the store
to get me flowers, a sweet card, and some Milano cookies...then stopped at Starbucks to get me a Mocha Frappacino!
Chris hates posing for pics, but after he nearly
scared the life out of me bursting through the front door
w/ his exciting surprise, I couldn't help it!

Many women in this world received flowers, cards, cookies and treats last Sunday for Valentine's Day, but here's why I appreciated these so much today: It's not the "stuff"...
obviously I would have survived the day without the goodies. It was the thoughtful gesture.

It was the fact that my husband got to leave work early and didn't go out and do something for himself or even just come straight home to relax, but he put his family first and ran an errand to the store for what our household needed. THEN, on top of that, he went into the store a 2nd time to do something to surprise me! Chris is very selfless, and his selfless acts are just so heartwarming. If you read my FB msg again, you'll see the flowers were not something I'd mentioned desiring, but I think he got those in lieu of the 3-4 hour nap he knew he couldn't give me today! Hahaha! And Kyleigh adores flowers, so he knew she and I would share (since she seriously luvs her some flowers, we even put some in a vase in her room for her to enjoy!)
(Pics taken before flowers were trimmed,
had to measure and divide for two sconces)

After all that, Hubby was still home an hour early and cooked dinner for all of us and we got to sit down to a yummy meal earlier than he'd typically even be walking in the door! My man really made my day!


4 comments:

HUGS-mom said...

Ahhhh,,,, We are having that day all week... lil sis still on meds that make her so (hmmmpf)
Dad at the doctor, our washing machine broke this week, so today a day at the laundromat (WOW)... car door needs checking and I have to return to the campus some time this week...UGH!!!!

They say joy comes in the morning... I am believing for a sonshine filled day for you and for us...

Have a beautiful one...

PS: Love your flowers... I told dad yesterday I need flowers... now after seeing yours, I would love flowers..>LOL

Summer said...

This is just too sweet! Way a guy :O)

Summer said...

That should say "what a guy." I am not sure what "way a guy" means :O)

Cayla said...

Very awesome. I knew you were in for a treat when my hubby got a phone call asking where to get the best frapps - that's one thoughtful man!