Sunday, February 7, 2010
Help Me Get (Re)Organized!
We tried out our new Shark Multivac today, and it works well! I saw lots of dirt getting picked up--lots! Don't get me wrong, I keep a clean house. But seeing this machine pick up dust and particles that our old vacuum no longer could was terrific!
Moms (& Dads), isn't it ironic how when we have babies/toddlers is the time in our life we want the floors and house to be most clean for our precious loved ones, but we have the least amount of time for such chores each day? I'm not as OCD about my house as I was back before motherhood because, well, I'm just not afforded that kind of free time these days! But I certainly care and have always kept a routine. However, since getting so sick in the beginning of this pregnancy, my regular routine has gone to pieces and I'm starting to think of building a new one with a third child in mind...
So I'm wondering, what routine you those of you with some babies/toddlers at home use to maintain both cleanliness and sanity?
*Do you do laundry "whenever" or on set days?
~Right now we can handle it once a week, but when baby arrives there will be little outfits that require immediate stain removal each day!
*Do you clean the bathroom as you notice the need, or is that a chore for every Saturday?
~I've always done "hard core" cleaning once a week & tidying up in between as it's needed. I've always thought that way...that if you pick up/wipe up as you go along, it's not so much to keep up with.
*How do you occupy small children while you cook meals...dinner in particular?
~Still trying to figure this out! In our own home we used to allow Kyleigh to "help" (either for real or pretend), but in our current residence the kitchen is dangerous so we keep a baby gate up and try to keep the kids out, so they need to either play or watch a movie or something.
So please send me your survival tips for how you do it all---play w/ baby(ies), workout, clean house, cook meals, and find time for dates w/ your special someone on top of it all! Chris and I noticed the transition from raising 1 baby to 2 was actually fairly easy, but for some reason expecting our 3rd child is starting to have us both concerned! When Jellybean's born, we'll have 3 children age 3 and under! Hahaha But we'll manage, I'm sure...we have to, right??? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I make sure we all have enough clothes and I do laundry every Monday (all day long). I try to have it folded and put away by that evening- doesn't always happen that way, but I try.
There are things your 3 year old could help you with (putting silver ware in the drawer), dusting the table legs, etc. Had my son cleaning toilets, mirrors, sinks and making his bed by age 5.
I don't really have a routine for cleaning the house, I just try to clean when I start noticing it is getting gross or dusty. I figure if I don't notice it, nobody else will and if they do, tough! I'm a busy mom and I'd rather spend my time cooking nutritious meals for them than cleaning all the time.
That's my two cents!
Have a great Sunday,
Jackie
BTW, cool vacuum cleaner!
Here is a blog post of mine that I am doing pretty good at sticking to.
http://jennand2010.blogspot.com/2010/01/well-yesterday-i-set-daily-goals-for.html
When I had 3 kids, I did a set thing every day of the week...laundry one day, floors one day, bathrooms one day...the house stayed very nice & clean this way & it helped me to stay on top of the other chores. As I've had more kids, I have changed things up a bit, I have started routines & have put them on hold...& a LOT of things, the big kids have responsibility for, which is nice! Whenever I have a new baby...it takes me a bit, but I get into what "I" call "my groove"..everyone has one & you have to find your own. :0)
I think that having the little kids "help" with chores is important & probably something you already do. For ex, on my "laundry" day...the kids would collect all their laundry & would help me w/ that & w/ folding. On "sheets & towels" day (we had a separate day for that), they'd get their sheets off their beds & their pillow cases & we'd wash those together...those are just some examples. Some day, they will be taking over some of these chores & it will be a great day indeed for Mommy!
Oh & the main reason I liked having the "one" thing to do was because it took me no time at all & it didn't overwhelm me to do that "one thing". I used to do it 'all' in one day...like every Wed..for example, but it got to where I truly dreaded that day & the house was pretty icky in the days just before that day.
Anyway, I've gotten far from that, but I have lots more help than I did when I had 3. Things are just different & I don't currently have any sort of real groove going on. I keep the laundry going almost every day (only because lately there have been lots of laundry w/ cloth diapers & potty training Caleb & everybody throwing up), but normally I do our "clothes" once a week & diaps are every 3rd day. The kids vacuum & clean their room once a day & all rooms are picked up once a day. Bathrooms (while I'm pregnant) get very little attention, but I do spray w/ lysol a LOT & wipe things down quite a bit. I try to do a deep scrubbing whenever I feel up to it.
The kitchen floor is swept & swiffered after every time we eat & then steam sharked every so often.
Excellent input everyone, thx! Keep the ideas comin'! (And I think I failed to mention, but yes, my kids do help out! I see it as teaching responsibility and stewardship! Josiah's not quite helpful w/ laundry yet--he tends to unfold all my work, bless his baby heart, so I tend to fold laundry when he's asleep! LOL)
Post a Comment