Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day Recap


I know a lot of fathers. In fact, I have a couple d
ads of my own! But I really am so fortunate to know the best daddy in the whole world is the father of my children. Chris is such a natural...it's amazing how naturally fatherhood flows from within him. Now, in the interest of full-disclosure, he does struggle a little with styling our daughter's hair, but that's barely a blip on the radar with all else he does so well! I'm so proud of Chris, and wish I did more daily to make honor him as though every day was Father's Day.

With the birth of each of our children, Chris was the first to hold the sweet new babies. I figured I'd sorta carried them around for most of a year, he deserved a chance to finally hold them! When he held Kyleigh for the first time, he cried. When he held Josiah for the first time, he cried (yes, I have pics of those moments!). But it wasn't just the look on his face that got me, it was the way he looked at our children that captured my heart.

Chris & Kyleigh, Dec. 30, 2006
Chris & Josiah, June 18, 2008

I still feel that way when I see him playing with our children from across a room. I freakishly enjoy observing this daddy and his kids, seeing how much he actively loves and cares for them. Our children have no doubt they can go to their father for anything, whether they're happy or sad or tired or hungry or have stinky pants! Daddy can do it all (except, as I mentioned previously, the hairstyling--but I still give him kudos for trying)!

This year for Father's Day the kids brought their dad breakfast in bed, which consisted of a PopTart and Mt Dew (because these are things he loves and things Kyleigh can carry, plus I had no pancake ingredients in the house--oops, sorry Honey!). The kids and I also made Chris a sign and I gave him a card (Josiah was supposed to carry the card, but dropped it a few feet before reaching his dad!). Like me, my guy's not big on a lot of fuss and such, so he thought this was juuuust right for starting his day. We later went out and about town as a family and dined out at Chili's--a restaurant we missed in BG, plus there was no wait!


The house we rent is on unlevel land and just has a couple concrete steps from the back door to the ground below--no patio surface or deck or anything like that--so
one of Chris's gifts is going to be a small patio area in the backyard. We'll use patio pavers that are removable whenever we move (since this is not our home, we're trying to do things around here that allow us to enjoy grilling and other normal parts of our typical lifestyle without investing in anything permanent). But with Josiah's party and company staying over the weekend there was no time to do it as a Dad's Day surprise so we'll do that on an upcoming day off. Though his gift will be late, I think it'll work out fine...it'll feel like a second Father's Day celebration for Chris! Yay!

1 comment:

CD said...

I loved reading about when Chris saw his babies for the first time, those pictures are so precious too. I can tell he is a wonderful Daddy.

Awesome family picture of you 4! Love u!