Chris is already in Clarksville, and will be for at least a few consecutive days. I realize that most days it's already just me and the kids 'til late in the evening, but something about just knowing my hubby wouldn't return last night made the whole day a little crazier!
Then last night I came up with a really bird-brained idea...here it is via Facebook conversation:

My Status ~
Jessica is going to load the kids into the van before bed and treat myself to a yummy snack from Baskin Robbins....
actually, 2 yummy snacks....I have a Buy 1, Get 1 Free coupon & hubby's not here! Haha!
Comments ~
Jen M: Awesome! We just used the coupon you gave us tonight!
Shelley: Awesome!
Jenn R: Oh how awesome!
ME: This was not as awesome an outing as all of you hoped for me! So it's nowhere near our house, but I googled it, figured I'd just swing by via drive-thru and take home my yummy treats, right? So Kyleigh's in her pj's, a dress-up hat, and a purse, but no shoes. (**I forgot to mention she also wore sunglasses!**) I think, "Ok, no biggie, we're doin' the drive-thru." I also just put Josiah in the van sans-shoes. So I easily find the big SIGN, but the actual store was tiny---with no drive-thru. Only BG could be so ghetto. I'd driven about 15 min, and wasn't gonna have the trip right before two kids' bed times go to waste, so I carried the kids in. I ordered. I went from being the only customer to being 1 of 10. Kyleigh was sitting in a big chair---which she loved. I was handed my "31 degrees Below" treats (if you've never seen 'em, think McFlurry with the cup, collar, spoons sticking out.) I had to carry 2 treats, 2 kids, & open a door by myself. Not 1 person even offered to open a door! Oy! But I made it, no spills!
Jody K: No one helped???? How rude!!!!
ME: Jody---I know! Can you imagine? I mean, I get that my kids and my junk food are all my responsibility, but since when do people not open doors for one another? In fact, as I'm holding this door open with my hip/behind, another woman walked out behind me and said, "Oh, thanks." Oh My Gosh! Yes, at least she said, "Thanks", but it was almost a slap in the face. If that were me, I'd have RUN to help someone else with their hands full---not taken advantage of the propped-open exit! OY! I can't wait to get back to civilization! We'll be back in Clarksville soon, so let's get together!
~End of Facebook Conversation~
Ok, so while I shouldn't have assumed this place had a drive-thru, was I also wrong to think that people still open doors for one another? I do that for people. My husband does, too. Tell me we're not the only people left that do that? Man/woman/child....doesn't matter, if someone needs a hand, shouldn't we help them?! (If you don't know, the answer is YES) That's one of the ways I injured myself during my 2nd pregnancy...at a paint store, Kyleigh on my hip, 3rd trimester hugely pregnant, carrying a paint can in each hand, opening the door to the store by myself and loading kid + paint into the van by myself---while people stood by and watched. I'm not asking strangers to carry my purchases or my child(ren), I'm just saying: "One open door makes a difference, PeOpLe!"
Alright, that was the conclusion of Parenting Alone, Day 1.
I really don't know how single mothers do this, or women whose husbands travel often or deploy for long periods of time. Perhaps they don't make ice cream parlor assumptions and perhaps they do put shoes on their kids' feet. Or perhaps they go months at a time without ice cream??? Umm, no, I don't think it's that last one! Haha!

3 comments:
I know how it feels. My husband is gone 26 hours at a time at least 10 days a month. I get used to it and sometimes even enjoy the time we have apart. I think absence makes the heart grow fonder!
I was lured here by your facebook status and have finally decided to end my lurking and say something : )
It is definitely not unreasonable to expect some help with a door when you're loaded down with kiddos and treats! Maybe it's just where you are? Maybe not, but I feel like I experience the door hold on a semi-frequent basis.
What I really want to know, however, is how you opened the car door! Do you have one of those auto door open clickers? I hope so!
Amanda...I actually was parked just outside, placed treats on hood of minivan & hoped they wouldn't tip, had to lower shoeless girl & instruct her to stand still while I buckled baby in on one side, then 'tossed' the ice cream treats into the cup holders, then scooped up my barefoot princess and strapped her in on the other side of the vehicle. Oh, I wished I had an automatic door opener! Sometimes when my hands are full I'll have KyKy get in on her bro's side and just maneuver over to her seat & I walk around to buckle her...but there was a car parked in the next space, and I could barely squeeze between it and mine w/ one kiddo. At least I got two desserts...one for last night, one for today!
Post a Comment