Thursday, May 21, 2009
First Step!
Tonight before bedtime Josiah was cruising along the sofa, then letting go from time to time to stand alone. He seemed to be daring to lean a bit here and there, as if interested in trying to walk. So I went to put away my ice cream and grab the camera to record...ya know, just in case? Our kitchen is open to our livingroom, so I kept an eye on him...ya know, just in case? And I'm glad I did because right there in front of both his Mommy and his Daddy he took his FIRST STEP! I praise God my husband was home for that moment, for he's typically still at work at that time but was able to come home early (due to an entirely different special situation--possibly more on that later).
I haven't encouraged the walking or worked with Josiah on that skill the way I attentively did with Kyleigh. Maybe partially in hopes that he wouldn't walk too soon and run me more ragged than I already feel many days! Ha! But really just letting him figure things out at his own pace. We thought he'd walk "early" (before 1 yr old) because Kyleigh did at approx. 10 1/2 mo and she demonstrates it for him daily so we thought he'd pick it up from her around the same age. He's 11 mo 3 days old...so about 2 weeks different...
that's not bad! He rolled over (and over and over and over!) and 4 1/2 WEEKS old, and from there met every first year milestone "early" or "on-time". He's even talking a little (says "apple" and "nana") But walking, well, that's been different. Josiah will push a chair across the house or walk all around our home pushing a walk/ride toy, but until today has not trusted himself to go it alone. I'm so proud of him for taking that big first step! It was so beautiful and special to see him strive and accomplish; to work and succeed; to feel excited and proud of his own efforts with a sparkle in his eyes, feeling secure that his parents were right there for him...
ya know, just in case?!
*For the record, yes, we did capture video footage of further efforts tonight, and caught a couple more step/fall scenarios!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yeah! Good for Josiah. That is a definite milestone. What a blessing that your husband was there to witness it, too!
Great job, Josiah! I never encourage mine to walk. They all are early walkers (some starting at 8 1/2 months). It seems like they aren't babies anymore when they start walking. I hope Lily waits longer.
I'm also glad you hubby was home. God blessed you both.
You go lil man... How neat and sweet that you were both there for first steps...
Post a Comment