After my recent post about our new washer/dryer, I received quick feedback on our choice!
One comment was about the capacity, as our pal's mom has a set that's a smaller capacity and she wondered about ours. Well, we wouldn't buy a smaller capacity one, as that would defeat the purpose & I would've just gotten a cheap full-capacity top-loader. Our new washer is a 3.6 cu ft washer...standard top-loaders are about 3.2 and require 40 gal water per load, but ours will only require 16-19 gal per load, so very efficient on water resources. Plus, since it's front-loading, there's no agitator (which pulls the clothes thru the soap & water). Instead, our new washer pushes the water thru the clothes, so less wear on clothing w/out the agitator. The new dryer is 7.0 cu ft, which is like "yay" 'cuz our old one is maybe 5.5 to 6 cu ft. And when clothes go in the new one and it spins, it uses its own energy to rotate, therefore saving on electric bills. (I'm not great at describing how large appliances work, so if readers have more questions or comments on my descriptions, just feel free to Google search for yourself how they work!)
Other feedback was from my bro about the lifespan of our new washer/dryer set. We went with the LG brand over others (like Whirlpool, as Whirlpool may stop making laundry appliances soon due to the advanced competition from LG and other brands, and therefore eventually future concerns would be tougher to remedy
And my sweet sister-in-law brought up safety. As for safety, we ARE taking precautions with the easy-access front-load machines.
It's not in my nature to buy appliance locks, but I wouldn't want to imagine the regret or remorse or loss I'd feel if something happened to my kids because I was too stubborn with my ways rather than buying a $15 life-saving washer/dryer lock! There are life risks involved with little people and eye-level washers they could drown in. I prefer to head off those dangers from the start by using the locks and teaching them the responsible choice is to have permission from Mommy & Daddy. We will teach our children "no" when it comes to the new and exciting appliances. That newness and excitement and attention will wear off the washer and dryer, and my kids will be left with a sense of obedient behavior and will know how to make good choices so that when they're 15 I won't still have to use appliance locks and tell them "No, No" like babies!
Kyleigh's kind of a by-the-book kid (meaning she learns how things work and typically she uses them as they're meant to be used; she's 2 and has silly moments of course, but to her the world runs a certain way! If I wear Chris's slippers, she points it out to me, saying, "Uh oh, that's Dada's"; if Chris drinks 'my' Pepsi when 'his' Mt Dew is gone, she says, "Uh oh, that's Mama's"; some babies drop toys down the toilet and clog it--not Kyleigh, she believes it's only for "pottying" and it wouldn't occur to her to put anything else into a toilet!). She appreciates order in her life, so I don't think she'd independently get the idea to climb into either appliance. Kyleigh likes to help with household tasks, though--including laundry--so we want to be safe with that and make sure she only can do so when supervised by Mommy or Daddy. But it's Josiah, though still such a young age, who has eyes full of wonder and mischief! He's our baby who will likely someday flush toys down the toilet or get curious about the washer and dryer at his eye-level! So even if for no other reason but him, we will put locks on these machines when they're delivered Thursday! *Boys* *Sigh*
And Miss Stacie mentioned she also paid cash for her appliances. Yay! We did the same routine a year ago when we moved into this home, which was a foreclosure needing a fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher...the works! It's not easy, hence the average consumer carrying 6-8 credit cards in their wallet! Can you imagine?! Maybe that's you (readers), so maybe you can imagine it, but I can't! Chris and I have $0 in credit card debt. We don't get things we haven't actually bought and paid for. I couldn't eat out of a fridge feeling like it wasn't really mine or that my food could be taken if I didn't pay, ya know?! Same for our washer and dryer...if I had payments it would be just like going to a laundry mat! That's why our decision between the cheap short-term set and the investment of a long-term set was tough, wanting to make the right decision with our cash in the immediate and for the future. We feel good about the great deal we got, and it's nice that we can take care of our family needs and we won't have to think about this stuff again for a long, long time!

8 comments:
Yeah... Can I come and wash a load soon? Moriah helps me load my dryer and is so good with it too... I know that you will have big helpers there...
I am excited for you... As for JoJo and KyKy, Moriah is taling about them every day now... she keeps saying there names over and over, then she said, Chris last night and KaKa a few times, but she said KaKa bye bye... she so misses you guys...
We bought an LG and we love it!
We have a 0 balance on our card as well. I put stuff on it, but pay it off every month.
We do the same as Stacie. We put at least something on our credit card once a month to build good credit then pay it off. It's better to keep your credit active than to not have any at all.
Sounds great! I love that about houseproofing your child, hee hee :) We are the same way, but we can often be seen chasing down toddlers with knives in their hands. (LOL) Joke, people! No, seriously.
I'm glad you got the lock, just cos "I" will sleep better at night! :)
One other thing, Jonathan's comment wasn't really about the life span so much as how much better we were told the top loaders were for moving (as far as moving them goes). That they suffer less damage & such. This was from a guy that works on them. But, I'm sure that with GREAT care, your W & D will be just FINE when you move it :)
All in all, I think you have made a great decision! & I wish we had $0 credit card debt, but we don't. We are definite big sinners, that's for sure! lol Seriously, we have good intentions & are working on it! Dave Ramsey is our BFF!
Crystal, w/ J's comment...I meant life span with moving and all. I know what he meant, but I guess my response wasn't super clear. I was just sayin' that we talked to different companies, and overall they assured us that our w/d should hold up through relocations! But truly we are hoping for fewer relocations in upcoming years---but we're certainly still hoping for at least one more that gets us out of BG! LOL And we're all sinners, money can't fix that. You're great parents and fabulous people makin' it through life. We just really want to owe no man anything (but love), so debt-free life is one of our goals, and living it is the only way we can truly leave that legacy to our kids. No credit card debt...but some days I think we'll be paying our college loans 'til our kids enter college! *sigh*
I'm so glad the Army paid for my college loans and all of my degrees. I'm also glad to be getting out. I found out today that it looks like we're flying home around May 13th.
I'm with you on the credit cards. We don't even have one. I'm very much with Dave Ramsey in that department.
We also have front loaders (ge, though), and I LOVE them. We bought them discounted at the Sears scratch and dent place in Nashville.
Wilkette, we researched options at that Sears, too, but found our really good deal locally, so it saved us the drive. So glad to hear more good stuff 'bout the front-loaders!
Post a Comment