Tuesday, April 14, 2009

God's Provision/Generous Hubby


Our washer/dryer set have been straining our patience and energy in ways I didn't even know a washer/dryer could bother people! As adults, neither Chris nor I have ever had a new washer/dryer set. In fact, we each were using old & decrepit sets while courting (oh, those good ol' college days!). About the time we got married, one of us had a broken washer, the other a dead dryer, so we combined our working appliances to make a set when we got hitched! A couple years later, one of those machines died. We were super poor. Don't get me wrong, we're not rollin' in dough now, but I mean eating-Ramen-noodles-for-every-meal poor. But God provided. Our neighbor bought a washer/dryer set at a yard sale because the owner insisted it sell as a set, but our neighbor only needed one machine so he gifted us with the other...just gave it to us! Yay God! When we moved from Clarksville to Murfreesboro we got rid of our set 'cuz we rented an apartment that included the washer/dryer, thinking we'd be there for quite some time. Little did we know we'd only be there for 3 short months! So when we got to BG, we had to find laundry appliances. There was a rent-to-own type of store having a sidewalk sale, and I got a whole set for under $250, including delivery. It was another older, used set, but it worked and it was ours. Well, as far as that set "working" now...uhm...not in such a reliable fashion anymore! I guess you'd say it's seen better days!

We looked around at both top-loaders and front-loaders. We knew we'd be just fine with an old fashioned, inexpensive top-loading set and be content. But all we kept hearing was how energy-efficient the newer styles are, so we did some research. I truly want to be a wife that my husband can be proud of, so *among other things* I try to make good financial decisions for our family. I fretted over the concept...do we spend less and stash the savings for use elsewhere, or do we make a higher-cost, long-term investment and not have to worry about this issue for quite a few years plus save on energy costs monthly???

We searched and searched, and yesterday we found a GrEaT deal on a new washer/dryer set that helped make the choice easier for us. Not 'easy', but easier. Oh, I'm so excited and so amazed! I'm amazed at God's provision! Not surprised that He can and does provide, but truly stumped sometimes by the ways in which He provides! And I'm excited to be married to such a generous husband. Since I prefer to wash the family laundry (my man still does laundry like a college guy, just puts 'whatever' in there, bless his gigantic heart!), my special guy looked toward my heart and strived to best meet my needs and the needs of our family as a whole. I'm thrilled beyond belief, that our new washer and dryer will be delivered on Thursday! And I can say that we made a great investment for our family with an affordability that allowed us to make this purchase with cash. Yep, that's right, hold on to your credit card machines, we brought out the old fashioned paper money! Once again, go God!
















(That reminds me of something that bugs me: Why is it that discounts are offered at major retailers if you put your purchase on store credit, but no discounts for people paying cash and living with $0 credit card debt? Well, I know the literal answer--they get kickbacks from the finance companies. But that's not my point... My point is that it's a backwards system! I think that people who pay in full with cash should get a discount 'cuz that's guaranteed money in the retail store's pocket, whereas a credit card user may file bankruptcy and the retailer may never get paid. See my point??? Ok, maybe that's for another day!)

Thursday can't come quickly enough,
I'm so excited about washing laundry!

5 comments:

Love, mom said...

AS Moriah would say; I LIKE IT... They are neat... cannot wait to see them working... Glad you guys will get to have some new ones...

Jon said...

Couple thoughts, hope you don't mind my two cents. First, I'm really happy for you that you have a nice set....but in my research I've learned that the base model top-loading machines have proved to last longer for families that move every 3-5 years, which you seem to do, though not as far as us :) I know this from repairs to our set and asking the repair men plus looking it up online. Second, the retail stores want people to sign up for credit cards because once you do you get on their mail list, then they send you occasional coupons, and fliers advertisements sales and such. This has proven to bring in more customers and more money in the long run. I learned this from my manager when I worked at JCPenny. I was awesome at convincing people to sign up for store credit cards!

CD said...

Be sure to get all the child safety stuff. Recently in the news, a lil' girl was killed when she climbed into the washer & her lil' brother came up behind her & closed the door...it started automatically & the door was locked & her Mom couldn't even get to her. She drowned to death. They have things you can buy to set it up higher so children can't climb into them & I think they have other safety things you can get.

You've probably already gotten this stuff, but I just wanted to be sure. There have been "accidents" with those types of W's & D's.

That said, I am really excited for you guys!! Those look super nice & I'm sure will last you a very long long time!! We still have our set that we bought when we first got married & they are still going great. I wish we'd paid cash, but I can proudly say that "that" credit card has long since been paid off (LOL)

Jodi said...

My mom has had the front load washer and drier for a few years. While I was visiting in Ohio, I did some laundry and noticed her washer was much smaller than ours (old fashion). 1 load of laundry was actually 1/3 of what I normally put in ours. I don't ever use the 'extra large' load on ours. Always just large loads to get the money's worth of electricity. However, I'm not sure the size capacity of yours. I just hope you're not having to run yours 3x's as much... then it wouldn't be energy efficient. Let me know how it turns out!

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I love mine! Laundry has never been easier!

I'm so happy for you. We paid cash for ours, too. Boy does that feel good! Great job!