Monday, March 1, 2010

Sickies, Spring Cleaning, & Sanity


Saturday night after work Chris went to our friends' home to help with their kitchen renovation. At first they hesitated to ask for his help so as not to intrude on our family time, but I assured these pals that it was no bother to either of us and I wouldn't feel slighted in the least by hubby's time away to do such a project because it's the kind of thing that makes his heart happy! Ten weeks without a working dishwasher and a repair company th
at makes 9-10 appointments to which they're a no-show--THAT is disturbing and wasteful of our family time. Hubby getting time with a friend doing something he totally enjoys--THAT is just simply awesome! So thanks, W's, for the treat for Chris!Our sweet friends fed my hubby pizza as the guys worked on cutting and installing new countertops. There was a part of the project that apparently took a lot of time (an issue with the sink...it's an older home, something wasn't cooperating), so they worked pretty late into the evening. They got 1/2 the kitchen countertops installed and intended to finish the next day. While they worked late, the kids and I watched their most recent Netflix arrival A Bug's Life, then Josiah went to bed. Kyleigh and I opened coloring books to pass more time, but ultimately she wanted her daddy...or she wanted to be just like him as she played with her tool set!The plan was for Chris to return to the kitchen construction after church Sunday and finish up the remainder of the project. However, things did not go according to plan. We did not get to go to church. Kyleigh had been trying to hack up a lung all day, and Josiah threw up multiple times. They both struggled all day. I also had my 27th/28th nosebleed in two weeks. Chris has had quite a few recently also. We're just not used to the dry air in this house. I'm ready for everyone in our family to get well! I'm thankful Chris had a rare day off and was able to be a support for us on this long, tough day. Hubby postponed completing the project due to the unexpected ickies we faced and stayed home to lend a hand to his family instead. Though we were disappointed he didn't get to lend a hand to friends, it kinda was so nice to have my whole family in the house, even if no one felt too great.

Before the day turned out as it did, I had plans for Spring Cleaning. We did manage to do some work, but not all my
Spring Cleaning goals by any stretch of the imagination (understandable since our hands were full with sad, fussy little people). We all still worked together, though, to clean and rearrange furniture. Even the kids helped--they love serving (especially Kyleigh) and just generally being included in whatever's going on. KyKy even got to use her tool set like Daddy and Siah used the laser level (his assessment wasn't exactly level, but he sure tried)!
We also had been searching for a good deal on a flat panel monitor, for ours was taking up so much room on our desk that it wasn't the most functional space. We found what we wanted for less than we expected so the hubster arranged for us to get it and set it up Sunday! I'm looking at it as I type now. And I can fit other stuff on my desk, too--yay! Haha! Every inch of space we save brings another ounce of sanity. Every bit of organization brings two ounces of sanity. Therefore, I'm feeling a tad bit more sane this week than I was last week--just a tad, but it helps! I'm sure a lot more sanity will return once everyone in our house starts feeling better and getting more rested. Last night everyone slept pretty well, so that's a start!


No comments: