Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snowy Days & Coffee Dates


It happened. We got snow.

Yesterday people just waited and waited to see what would happen...and not much did happen for hours. Just about 1pm, we saw flakes. We had barely a flurry, but to those who love the snow, the excitement began. And to those of us who don't care for snow, the contentment began, as the tiny dusting didn't seem worth our concern. ↓
However, by later in the afternoon there were just enough flurries accumulated to play in, so when Chris's office closed early he and the kids did just that! ↓**I stood just inside the door and watched, snapped pics, and made videos!**

And around 5pm, just as I was leaving Chris and the kids home to play (and wait on the dishwasher repairman, who didn't show up but at least called) while I met a friend for coffee, the snow started to come down heavier...meaning it was actually "snowing". The roads were fine, so I ventured out by myself for the first time in 3 weeks. Oh it was so good to get out of the house! Some businesses were open, some were closed. But still, it was just a light, soft snow falling and not some blizzard to panic over, so my friend and I appreciated the beautiful snow from inside the warm bookstore cafe as we sipped our coffee and chatted.

Suddenly, there was a "situation" that caugh
t my attention! Coming inside the bookstore, a tall and awkward 12-13 yr old girl came galumphing directly toward us! Actually, it was a combination galumph-skip! My friend had her back to the door, but I was facing the girl and could see that apparently she was heading toward her mother, who already stood behind me at the counter quietly ordering a beverage and standing very gently in one spot. In a manner quite opposite from her mother's, the girl came charging forth with all her might! You know how on some roller coaster rides the skin on your face seems to be pulled back by the force at which you're moving? Well, imagine that on this awkward, frizzy-haired giant of a tween barreling toward our table! It all happened so fast, but I wish I'd captured it on video. I don't mean to make fun of the girl, but I'd truly never seen anything like this, and in this instant charge with the crazed eyes and stretched-skin expression on her face I actually became a tiny bit afraid (or at least a little nervous). I was thankful when she passed our table and galumph-skipped right into the coffee counter where her mother stood. I simply put my hand up to my chin, avoided judgment, maintained composure, and returned my attention to the friend who was speaking before we were so wildly distracted. But then my friend made a comment...nothing unkind, but actually something about the girl's joy or happiness...and I just LOST IT!

I don't know why, but the moment struck my funny bone and I laughed soooo hard! I covered my mouth, I doubled over at the table, and my eyes began to fill with tears. I tried to hold back, sitting up again to compose myself, but suddenly another outburst of laughter came in conjunction with warm tears streaming down my cheeks and I was just a hot mess! I felt so bad! But thing is, I really was in awe of this girl. I don't think I've felt that carefree in many many years. She had a spontaneity that was tough not to envy--or at least take notice of. Of course, I believe that in public there's a certain level of decorum that should be maintained by people of all ages, but still...this was quite a moment to observe!

After our coffee and conversation, the bookstore was closing early so we each headed home. The roads had gone from clear to slushy, but still not "bad" conditions. Then overnight we accumulated more snow, and this morning this is what we saw (approx 5 1/2"):
Chris was scheduled to work at the mall today, which surprisingly was open, so he headed to work in the late morning. He texted me a while ago, though, to say that some Nashville malls were closing and there's a possibility it could happen here as well due to the current forecast calling for icy conditions to develop. I'll be standing by to see what's decided. Whatever happens, he's a seasoned and safe driver in winter conditions (being from Ohio and all, where they have "real" snow every winter!) so I don't worry about him on the road. And fortunately he's off work tomorrow and he'll get a chance to catch a break and watch a flick with some guy friends (before I get together w/ another girlfriend to chat over hot cocoa!).

So, that's our weekend...kids playing in the snow, coffee and cocoa dates, movie w/ friends, & a galumph-skip experience.
Not too shabby!

No comments: