Today marks exactly 4 weeks past Josiah's 1st birthday. And it marks the day he got his first sippy cup of MILK rather than a sippy cup filled with formula!
I never anticipated being an over-protective mom, but with all Kyleigh's been through in the realm of food allergies and their devastating reactions to her little body, I'm super careful with Josiah's eating. Rather than giving him milk at exactly one year old, I've waited an additional few weeks, trying to give his body a little extra time to develop and perhaps reduce chances of an adverse reaction to dairy products. But we knew that someday we'd have to try milk and if he's allergic, then he's just gonna be allergic. But it's trial and error at this point. So we tried it.
He had milk with his lunch today, which was around Noon. He later went down for a nap at approximately 2:30pm. In between, I noticed no adverse reaction to the milk...not on his skin, his breathing, or his behavior. I've also looked in on him over the past hour he's been napping, and his skin has no indication of a reaction. *Sigh of relief*
This is HUGE!
As a mom who's seen one of my children suffer greatly from simply touching a tiny piece of shredded cheese--not eating, just touching--amongst other allergens, I was almost in tears and struggling with guilt as I handed my youngest child a cup filled with milk. I had to bite my lip, hold my breath, and cross my fingers. (Oh, and take photographs!) Kyleigh is allergic to wheat (gluten), dairy, oats, and eggs, and doctors have told us there is a high likelihood that her brother will share those allergies. Knowing what could result from drinking the milk, I truly felt prematurely guilty...feeling like if he were to have an adverse reaction I'd be the cause of that pain by purposefully giving him the drink. No mother wants to see their child suffer...and certainly not at the mother's doing!
We realize we could have moved right from soy formula to soy milk/rice milk and then not had to worry about whether Vitamin D milk was ever in the cards! But we still need to know about dairy in general. And it's only fair to our son to find out so we can best manage whatever dietary needs he may have. I'm going to keep an eye on him throughout the day. But so far so good. And I think he kinda liked it!
Got Milk?




Please continue to pray for each member of our family as we take this journey with Josiah into the unknown with potential food allergies. For Josiah, that we'll discover few-to-no food allergies and continued health for our big boy! For Kyleigh, patience and contentment as a little extra attention goes to her brother at this time. Chris, that he can remain strong, not only for Josiah in case of severe allergic reaction, but for me as well. For me, a reduction of "Mommy Guilt". I know that I had beautiful, healthy babies come to me after beautiful, healthy pregnancies. I know I did nothing wrong. I know I didn't cause Kyleigh's severe allergies to the yummy foods most of us enjoy... But I still feel guilty that I couldn't/can't make that part of her world different. And I'm so hoping our sweet son won't suffer through the same things our precious girl has. It's hard as a mother to watch our children suffer and not be able to do anything about it. That makes me feel guilty, and I need to find a way to fully give that over to God. But I'm not there yet, so please pray for me in that regard.
3 comments:
I'm praying you'll be able to give this fear and guilt over to God. He is able to handle this for you. He promises you that "My burden is easy and my yoke is light". It is great that Josiah is doing so good with the milk. Yeah! You're doing a good job by taking it slowly. You're a good mom.
Quote: For those mothers who cannot restrain tears from trickling down their cheeks when they hold their babies for the first time in their arms; and for the mothers who give birth to babies they'll never see."
Mothers are made up of SO MUCH, and you are an awesome mommy...
U R a MOCHA (mom of a child w/allergies) its o.k.
Just enjoy a mochalatte' and think of it as a spice in life that God has chosen you for...
He will give you the abilities to walk it out with your precious ones...
He has gifted you both as awesome parents...
Definitely praying for Josiah and your family. And I must say that he is looking more and more like his big sis in these pics!
Post a Comment