A friend from high school shared some tremendously sad news with me around Midnight. He and his wife, approximately 38/39 weeks pregnant, have lost their daughter. Apparently late or overnight Friday night the umbilical cord became tangled around her neck. On Saturday, when the mommy didn't feel her moving, the couple went right to the doctor, but it was too late.
I have had the opportunity to communicate with them online, and I said all the encouraging things I could think to share, including Jer. 29:11. I encouraged them to seek the Lord. And since then I've just cried. I shared the news with my husband, who held me as I wept. It's after 4:30am and I'm still up. Still crying. These are not friends I see often...in fact, it's been years since I last saw my buddy, and I've never met my pal's wife because they live all the way in AZ. But I am a parent. I know the love a parent has for a child, and I truly can't--and never want to--imagine the grief they must feel. They've lost their daughter before they've even met her. Soooooo close to meeting her.
First child. Healthy pregnancy.
Completely unexpected turn of events.
I can't stop crying. I wish I could do something. I know they're bringing their daughter to TN this week (TN is "home", where their families are) and will hold a service on Sunday. I have offered to help in any way possible, in any way I can be a friend to them right now. I hope they'll take me up on that offer. I feel so helpless and my brain is drawing a blank for ways I could be proactive. Prayer is all I've got. Please remember Jeff and Melissa in your prayers, too.

7 comments:
How horrible! That is something that I worry about.
That is soooo sad. I will pray for them.
This is such sad news. I will keep them in my prayers. I knew a couple that just went through something almost identical last year. She worked with my mom, and her friends at work collected money and gave them gift cards so that they could just grab food when they need it without having folks stop by at the house to deliver food (especially since you are not really up for visitors sometimes after events like this). They also bought her a tree to plant in memory of the child, so that she could see it grow and know that her daughter was not forgotten, even if it was just a symbol by which to remember her. Maybe one of those ideas might be a way you can help the family grieve.
Praying for their hearts to be comforted during this time of pain and sorrow...
How awful :( I will pray for them :(
How awful. I can't even begin to imagine that kind of pain. Praying for them.
I can't even imagine the pain they must be suffering right now. You are a good friend to "mourn with those who mourn". I stand with you in prayer for them.
Post a Comment