Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Hubby!


Today is my husband's birthday! But it wasn't a super eventful day, as we actually celebrated at a SuRpRiSe PaRtY with frien
ds on Sunday! I've thrown Chris a birthday party every year we've been married (except the first 'cuz we were just returning from our honeymoon!). He's onto the fact that I'm likely to do something...he just never knows exactly what it will be or when! I love that element of surprise!Sunday was fun, as many friends came together to throw Chris a special celebration. There were many local friends as well as two of Chris's BG coworkers--he was most surprised to see them here in TN! A married couple we hang out with opened their home to host the party, which was greatly appreciated since their lovely home has far more room than our little place; and it was the perfect ruse, as the hostess recently had a bday and I led Chris to believe we were going to enjoy a birthday dinner meant for her! We all enjoyed a backyard bbq of hamburgers and bratwurst...complete with a "hamburger & fries" cake to go with the theme! (I usually bake Chris's bday cake, but I purchased this fun creation.)I told our friends "no gifts", as our family's birthday party motto is always, "No presents necessary; your gift will be your presence." We just appreciate that everyone takes time out of their busy lives to share these occasions, and we enjoy that fellowship. Still, Chris received a few awesome birthday cards, one of which included a fab gift card for
Bob Evans (his fave restaurant,
which originated near his hometown), and his big gift was a new pair of shoes. Now, shoes may not seem big to you, but Chris has foot/ankle issues stemming back to his football glory days, and he typically wears out his shoes within 3 months. His most recent shoes were a quality pair that has survived since his last birthday--a whole year! But they're sadly overdone and he needed a new pair badly 'cuz he's on his feet all day and is in lots of pain lately. But really good, really comfortable men's dress shoes are hard to find, and once found they are expensive! We were so blessed by my dear true friend of 16 yrs, who works for Johnston & Murphy and helped me get Chris's gift at her wonderfully discounted employee rate! I won't divulge her name--just so as not to get her into any trouble--but I must tell ya she's such a generous friend to do that! Those shoes totally made his year! LOLChris was off work both yesterday and today, so we've enjoyed quality family time. This morning the kids gave their Daddy a card they'd colored for him, and he loved it sooooo much! Both Kyleigh and Josiah were super proud to show their special artwork, and he was super proud to receive it! I'm so thankful for my husband to be alive and in this world but not of this world, to be striving daily to live for Christ, to lead our family with conviction, to love me with complete acceptance and adoration, and to raise our children for the glory of the Lord. Yay for my hubby's birthday!
Oh, he's 32 by the way!
Or as he tells it, he's 25 for the 8th time!



6 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Happy birthday to your hubby! He sounds like quite a guy. In the words of Randy Jackson, "That cake is the bomb, dude!"

Anonymous said...

I agree---that cake is so cool! Looks like everyone had a great time on Chris's birthday!

Love ya, Daddy B, Mama B & Mo said...

So glad you had such an awesome celebration for your day... Have a great year too...
Hugs....

CD said...

Happy Birfday to CHRIS! That cake totally rocks! Seriously, it looks so much like a burger, I had a heck of a time explaining to my older children that it was actually a CAKE, decorated as a BURGER...but WHY? they ask...LOL...

You do a great job surprising that man! I am no good at bdays/gifts/or surprises, so KUDDOS!!

Jordan Carroll said...

Happy birthday Chris! Who made that cake, btw? It's awesome!

Jessica said...

Oh, the cake's from Kroger, if I didn't mention that in the post! I typically make him a simple white or yellow cake w/ chocolate frosting...and long after the whole backyard bbq surprise theme was decided, I came across this cake at the grocery store and just laughed & had to get it!