Monday, February 2, 2009

I Work For A King


"
I work for a King. He has put me in charge of His home. When He comes to see how I have managed His possessions and His children, I do not want to be found wanting. I want to do my best. Everything I have is on loan from Him. I have room and board and a job to do, but it is all for Him. Therefore I want to dress my best and do my best in all my work. I also want to be creative, for this is a sincere attempt to glorify Him and His beautiful creation. How I manage my home is a form of worship to Him."
~~Lydia Sherman

I came upon this quote on a fellow blogger's page. I asked, and she didn't mind me borrowing this great find to share with the ladies in my life! I think it's a wonderful declaration, though I can easily admit that while I too want these same things, I most often fall short in the execution.

I work as though I'm working for myself. I manage as though I'm in charge of my home. When He comes to see how I've managed what he's given me, I'll be found wanting. I don't always do my best. I forget that what I have is not truly mine, but is all from Him and should be use to honor Him.
I do NOT dress my best for all my work (sorry, I can't bring myself to wear heels to scrub a toilet!). I appreciate creativity, but most often use it to find shortcuts in my tasks rather than to glorify Him. I know I'm accountable for how I manage my home, but never relished it as an act of worship.

I really believe I can improve upon all these ways. But the one about dressing my best all the time---eh, I don't know! I sincerely believe that the best thing to wear when cleaning a house, cooking dinner, changing a baby's diapers, and painting with a toddler is an old t-shirt.
(I'm hoping 'best' is meaning 'appropriate for the situation/task at hand', but if anyone would like to shed some light on the subject, I'm certainly willing to approach it with an open mind!)


8 comments:

CD said...

I was just thinking about this. The kids & I have a LOT of conversations about God & in one of them, they asked if it was possible for God to "visit" our home, in flesh, & I said "I guess ANYTHING is possible with God." Naomi took this so seriously that she made Jesus a peanut butter & jelly sandwich & she put it on the table for him (in case He showed up for lunch). I was thinking "Hmm, should I dress up nice?" LOL I was wearing nasty cleaning clothes. I even inquired your brother what does he think? I can't remember exactly what our words were, but we both agreed that Jesus isn't like some political dignitary. He is our best friend, He wants us to talk to Him easily, throughout the day, & if He came over, it would be a LOT like when He was at Martha & Mary's house & he reprimanded Mary (I think it was) for worrying about the way her house looked instead of just enjoying the presence of her Savior! I honestly don't think Jesus is concerned with how nice our clothes are, as long as we are fully covered (modest apparel) but even then, if you don't "own" any modest apparel & are a new convert, He would be just as anxious to be with us. He loves "who" we are & looks beyond the state of our home & our hair.

On another note, teaching children in any environment can be "messy." Again, it's about perspective. God is glorified when we are caring for His children, teaching them, & training them. He is not so much impressed with everything that the "world" is impressed with.

Just my thoughts! I hope He shows up for lunch today!!!

Jessica said...

Oh, but CB, I didn't make him a sandwich! Thanks for your perspective, I appreciate you sharing! My train of thought is sorta with yours, in that who we are is more vital than what we wear. It's not wise or practical to wear a ballgown as a firefighter--a firefighter who's dressing their best would be one who's prepared w/ the proper gear. I think dressing my best as a mom means wearing clothes I don't mind getting dirty while I play with my kids at home, and it's dressing modestly outside of my home--setting an example and preserving the innocence of my children as well as not drawing the improper attention of males who should keep their eyes on their wives (future wives). That just reminded me of Rebecca St. James' song 'Wait for Me'...love that song! Thanks CB!

Anonymous said...

A story to share with all the ladies...

You're at the dinner table with your family. The children are whining about what’s been served to them. The one in the highchair pummels food on the floor. The meal has turned cold... and you feel like you've just about had it! Then, suddenly, one of the children spontaneously breaks into song. And it’s not just any song, it’s a song to you about how much he loves you! The tune is so simple and the words are sweet, and he sings it just like a lullaby he’s heard you sing to him so often, “I love you mommy, I love you so much, thank you for being my mommy.” Even though his voice is soft, you can hear it above the din of the others. It sounds so good, not because of the quality of his voice, but because of the peacefulness in it.

Now imagine all the children, who have been bickering noisily all this time, suddenly stop. It’s totally silent, they look at each other, and then at you, and then all together they burst into, “We love you mommy, we love you so much, thank you for being our mommy." All of their eyes are focused on your face and they really mean it! How would that make you feel? I know you’re probably wondering what you might have accidentally put in their food, but the grins on their faces, and the twinkle in those little eyes tell you it’s for real.

This is a picture God recently gave me of our worship and what it means to Him. Can you imagine how it makes God feel when we use our unheavenly voices with our limited human language to tell him how we much we adore Him?

You shall be a crown of beauty in the hand of the Lord…you shall be called My delight is in her…for the Lord delights in you…as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you (Isaiah 62:3-5).

What a crown to wear being a mommy...
love you ladies...

CD said...

That is a great vision God gave you, Mama M!

God is concerned with our heart & our joy! Do things with joy & thanksgiving, that is how you give God glory while scrubbing toilets :0)

Love you Jess & Mama!

Anonymous said...

OH -- I can't take credit for that vision story, I just one I wanted to share this great reading with all the ladies...
I love this though and wanted to send it on yo you all...

I loved it so much and thought of Jess's blog today and how things can happen at home...

CD said...

By the way, Jess, this is a fun post! I think it's very thought provoking! I love the quote in the beginning, it's a good mind-set to have, to always remember who we belong to & who our children really belong to!

Me said...

To me, dressing "my best" means being clean and smelling clean. Even if its one of those days where I can't get a quick shower in. And at least having my hair brushed or pulled back neatly when my husband comes home. And maybe once in awhile change out of my pj pants into some jeans and a clean top for when he comes in the door.
Oh, I would be embarrassed if you came to my door during the day and see how I walk around, but I do try to (often i fail) to look presentable, and have a clean sitting area for my husband when he comes home. I also try to make sure Elenore's face is clean and her hair's not a ratted mess. I know David will love us no matter what, but I'd like to think its a little more pleasing to come home to something that looks pleasing. Know what I mean? And also it makes me feel better and more refreshed and ready to greet him.

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I was convicted of this quite awhile ago after reading Proverbs 31. It says she in fine linens. I have changed my wardrobe to modest, yet stylish clothes that fit. I do not normally wear baggy sweats and T-shirts anymore. I try to always have my hair done by ten O'Clock in the morning. I do this to be attractive to my husband and it makes me feel better knowing that if company did drop by, I wouldn't still have my hair in a ponytail and my jammies on.

I think someone called it "Dressing for Success" in the home.

It's also a good example to my children, whom I insist they get dressed before they come to the breakfast table. They sometimes think because they homeschool that they don't need to worry abou their appearence.