Wednesday, August 4, 2010
Bed Rest
Recently, midway through our 38th week, my OB nurse put me on bed rest. I think most often pregnant women are put on bed rest when there is distress or urgency with the baby, but fortunately that's NOT our case---Addison is doing spectacular! It's her momma who's in distress!
As baby's been dropping and labor stages progressing (dilating, cervix thinning, etc), my discomfort has become intense. It's no longer just my back, but serious pelvic pain. One to two times per day there's writhing and crying, pleading with God and Chris and the toys on the floor to please make it stop! It's normal to feel pressure when baby's dropping at this stage in the game, but not pain. The conclusion? Doc says Miss A is sitting on a nerve. And since she's already entering the birth canal, she'll simply stay in that position until delivery. There is nothing we can do about this situation...except "rest".
I'm on bed rest. I'm not to stand much or walk far, no squatting or bending (no using my midsection), no vacuuming or sweeping (no stretching from the core), and no "heavy lifting"--which I was informed includes taking a gallon of milk out of the fridge and lowering it to my side as many people would naturally do. And it's no longer a suggestion, I'm officially not allowed to pick up my kids.
The best things to do? Lay on my left side, which gets my belly off my pelvic area (as opposed to sitting, where my belly rests on my lap!) and it keeps my feet up for good circulation. Also, drink lots of water, and rest. REST? Hahaha! I have 2 young kids at home, it's simply impossible! But I'm trying. I feel like a lousy wife and mom, but even the slightest things wear me out. I can shower on my own, but I only do so when Chris is home (morning or evening) because after standing on my feet just for a few minutes I need help stepping out and sitting down. Oh, and shaving my legs? OY, such a chore! Frugal as I am, I now totally see the value in paying for laser hair removal! LOL
People have asked me if it was like this with my previous two pregnancies, and the answer is NO! Lol I had textbook pregnancies with Kyleigh and Josiah, so when we found out we were expecting a third child, we never imagined our journey to be like this. But who does, right? Tough as it's been on the family, we're all grateful for Addison and nothing short of elated to be a part of the miracle of her creation. I'm so thankful to the Lord for her safety & well-being, and would gladly walk through fire...or go through this!...for her. It won't be long before Addison becomes an exterior baby we'll get to hold and kiss and love on, leaving these tough days a faint and distant memory!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment